Back to the Future

Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm not sure I like growing up

My most beloved professor edited my paper in her Early American Lit class and submitted a proposal for me to the KPA (Kentucky Philological Association) conference being held at Eastern this March.

And...

It was accepted!

I'm so nervous. I've never presented at a conference, let alone presented my own written work.

And...

I'm getting to know my mother's mother. My mom was adopted, and her true mother found out about her after she died, during my sophomore year of high school. I met her during that time, but it was very brief, and of course, my dad and grandmother forbade me to ever talk to her again. I've started writing her, and maybe one day I will be able to meet her in person again. She lives in California, so it would be a fun trip! :) She seems like a very kind-hearted person, and she's a Buddhist, which I think is awesome. I love having people in my life with unique beliefs.

American Feminisms tonight! :)

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh Liz, how exciting! Scary, but exciting!

I didn't know you had met your mother's mother. Where in CA does she live?

Liz said...

Becca,

Yes I am so nervous I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a breakdown before the conference. But that's normal for me during the semester. :)

Susan lives in Reseda, California which, I think, is basically Los Angeles. She's the complete opposite of my granny: tattoos, nose ring, Buddhist, short, blonde hair.

Rebecca said...

How funny! It sounds sort of refreshing to talk to someone so different.